Summer is time for soaking up the sun and sizzling summer barbecues. No one wants to spend it waging a war on weeds. Get ahead of the game if you want to stop summer weeds before they start. Here’s what you need to know.
Why Stop Summer Weeds Now?
Classified as grassy or broadleaf, annual weeds appear in late spring or early summer, depending on the variety, and die off after the first frost. But their death brings no relief to the homeowner. The pesky plants leave behind a bevy of seeds to plague your landscaping the following year. Some of them produce thousands of seeds in one season! Don’t wait until unwanted weeds take over you turf. Once established, the mature plants are difficult to destroy. And you want to stop summer weeds before they set seed to save yourself the time and effort in the following year.
Pre-emergent herbicides stop summer weeds by creating a barrier in the soil that prevents growth before it starts. Read the labels on these products to find one that targets the type of weeds you want to prevent. And follow the application directions carefully. However, pre-emergents only prevent weed growth. For already established weeds use a post-emergent product.
Weeds are opportunists. They work their way into thinning grass, bare patches, and weaker turf. Think of an unhealthy lawn like a welcome mat for weeds. You won’t be able to stop summer weeds without working to make your lawn thick and healthy. This requires a proper maintenance program that includes the following:
- Regularly mowing the lawn to the height that’s ideal for that type of grass.
- Instead of lightly watering the lawn often, give grass a deeper watering less frequently to promote growth.
- Test the soil to find out what nutrients it needs. This helps you pick the right fertilizer to apply, and helps determine if you need to add lime to the soil.
- Aerate compacted soil and keep foot traffic to a minimum to prevent further compaction.
- Reseed thinning or bare areas.
- Cut back shrubs and branches to shed more light on shaded areas where grass has a hard time growing.
The best way to keep your lawn weed free is to leave it up to the experts. At Free Spray Lawn Care, we offer a unique program for preventing weeds and keeping your turf in great shape. Call us today at [phone]. We’ll stop summer weeds before they get in the way of your warm-weather fun.